Saturday, December 27, 2014

Truth is a dare.

“Mai jobhi bolunga sab sach bolunga aur sirf such ke siwa kuch aur nahi bolunga.”
Isn’t that the oath we swear with our hand on the holy book when we are in a court? Yes it is. Truth may be painful or sometimes too had to come out but yes in the end it is the truth which matters. We all lie. Sometimes small, sometimes big and sometimes just because we don’t have any other option left with us. But that lie keeps haunting up day and night until and unless we speak the truth and clear our conscience.

While going through this beautiful advertisement video by Kinley somewhere or other I found myself related to it check it out here Kinley 2014 TVC . There are always such moments in our life when we lie to save ourselves but later on we regret and we end up telling the truth. Here is a piece of my own life where I found myself in such situation and at the end I had to tell the truth.




I was in Standard 7 and was one among the good guys in the class. I had my own bonding with science. I wasn’t a brilliant student but I was more tending towards the curious one. And we all are aware of the metaphor that curiosity kills the cat and so it was. Science or to be very precise chemistry was the curiosity and I was the cat. So here is what actually happened.

On a very fine winter morning here we were in our classes the prayer bell was still to ring and I was in my class sitting on the first bench with my chemistry practical box in front of me. Like I said I had some special connections with chemistry, I had few test tubes, acids, lighter and few more compounds in my box. I don’t know what the hell was I thinking I took out one of the test tube pored a bit of Hydrochloric acid (it wasn’t so corrosive it was diluted one yet dangerous) and started adding different compounds in it. I bet I was putting up a good show with around half of the class gathering me. First I added salt to it well it didn’t react vigorously, next was a piece of copper wire yet no reaction copper lies below in the periodic table so it was immune and I knew it. I didn’t want to do something stupid and was about to throw the fluid out of the window but one of my friend suggested me to add chalk (calcium bi carbonate) to it. I knew that this was going to be interesting and so I added the chalk dust to it. And the very next second the fluid from the test tube stated irrupting. To be honest I got scared and everyone else too.

Aditya my besstie took the test tube and threw it away from the window but none of us noticed that our class teacher saw him doing that. The bell ran I cleared the mess and we went for the prayers. The class resumes and sir came in and before we could understand anything he grabbed Aditya by his ears and took him out of the class. So afraid I was, I hid the practical box and was just waiting that any second he would rush into the class and I would be the next one to be thrown out. But to my surprise he came back in after 10 minutes all red in anger and lectured the whole class. He took the attendance and was about to leave and turned back and shouted “I won’t tolerate this in my class, take it as an example ADITYA is going to the principal’s office and maybe terminated for few days ”. Everyone was silent and all eyes on me. Yet I kept quite I don’t know what the reason was maybe I was a coward to accept my fault or I didn’t want my good name to be spoiled. The teacher left the class and I saw him dragging my friend to the principal’s office. Few minutes passed by and I was so deep in guilt that I couldn’t face my friends too. I got up and ran towards the stairs. We had our class on the fourth floor. And I caught sir by the end of the second floor.

He looked up and asked me what the matter was. I felt he had calmed down a bit. I told him the truth. I told him that it was my fault and I didn’t had the courage to speak up but when he left I felt so ashamed and it was so heavy to carry that burden so here I was the main culprit to whose mistakes my best friend was just a victim. He slapped me, yes he did but I didn’t react. He shouted and turned towards the upstairs and started climbing and two of us followed like a sincere student. He came back to the class and asked us to come in too.  We stood there like a sinner and were ready to be executed. But to our surprise the teacher spoke in a clam voice, “students we have two of your friends here with me, I was going to take them to the principals’ office but then on a second thought I didn’t. Now if you are wondering why, let me tell you” he paused and the continued again, “Aditya accepted the punishment without uttering even a word that it wasn’t him who was trying to be scientist in the class because his best friend was on the other side and Rakesh came running to me to tell the truth that it was him knowing what the punishment was, I won’t encourage you for this what they did was outstanding and so the truth that Rakesh just told me spared both of them from my anger”. He left us with a warning not to do something stupid again.


It was too tough for me to tell the truth but to live with that lie was tougher. The truth I just said spared a good friend of mine from being punished and overall it gave me a great relive and I was not punished too. It’s true that “Sachai mai sukun hoti hai”

No comments:

Post a Comment